Rates By-law, 2007
- Published in Western Cape Provincial Gazette 6447 on 29 June 2007
- Commenced on 1 July 2007
- [This is the version of this document from 29 June 2007 and includes any amendments published up to 28 July 2023.]
2. InterpretationIn this By-Law, the English text prevails in the event of any conflict with the Afrikaans or Xhosa texts, and, unless the context otherwise indicates—"City" means the City of Cape Town;"City’s rates policy" means a rates policy adopted by the City in terms of this By-Law;"Constitution" means the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa;"Credit Control and Debt Collection By-Law and Policy" means the City’s Credit Control and Debt Collection By-Law and Policy as required by sections 96(b), 97 and 98 of the Systems Act;"Property Rates Act" means the Local Government: Municipal Property Rates Act, 6 of 2004;"rate" or "rates" means a municipal rate on property as envisaged in section 229 of the Constitution.
3. Adoption and implementation of rates policy
4. Contents of rates policyThe City’s rates policy shall, inter alia:
5. Enforcement of rates policyThe City’s rates policy shall be enforced through the Credit Control and Debt Collection By-Law and Policy and any further enforcement mechanisms stipulated in the City’s rates policy.
6. Operative dateThis By-Law shall take effect on 1 July 2007.
History of this document
01 July 2007