Protection of Wild Animals and Birds By-law, 2006
- Published in Gauteng Provincial Gazette 135 on 10 April 2006
- Commenced on 10 April 2006
- [This is the version of this document from 10 April 2006 and includes any amendments published up to 24 March 2023.]
- [Note: The original publication document is not available and this content could not be verified.]
PreambleThe Municipal Manager of the City of Johannesburg Metropolitan Municipality hereby, in terms of section 13(a) of the Local Government : Municipal Systems Act, 2000 (Act No. 32 of 2000), publishes the By-laws for the Protection of Wild Animals and Birds for the City of Johannesburg Metropolitan Municipality, as approved by its Council, as set out hereunder.
1. DefinitionsIn these By-laws, unless the context otherwise indicates –"bird" means any bird other than a domestic or domesticated bird;"Council" means –(a)the Metropolitan Municipality of the City of Johannesburg established by Provincial Notice No. 6766 of 2000 dated 1 October 2000, as amended, exercising its legislative and executive authority through its municipal Council; or(b)its successor in title; or(c)a structure or person exercising a delegated power or carrying out an instruction, where any power in these By-laws has been delegated or sub-delegated, or an instruction given, as contemplated in section 59 of the Local Government : Municipal Systems Act, 2000;"hunt" means to hunt for, shoot at, kill, snare, capture, pursue or search for or lie in wait with intent to kill, shoot or capture, or disturb, destroy, wound or maim any wild animal or bird;"wild animal" means any animal other than a domestic or domesticated animal, rat and mouse.
2. Prohibition against hunting wild animals and birdsNo person may, without lawful cause or without the permission in writing of the Council and subject to such conditions as the Council may impose –
3. Firing of a firearm, air-gun or air-pistolNo person may, without lawful cause, the onus of proving which is on the person asserting it, fire or discharge a firearm, air-gun or air-pistol : Provided that this prohibition does not apply to –
4. Offences and penaltiesAny person who –
5. Repeal of by-lawsThe By-laws listed in Schedule 1 are hereby repealed.
6. Short titleThese By-laws are called the By-laws for the Protection of Wild Animals and Birds.
History of this document
10 April 2006 this version
Published in Gauteng Provincial Gazette 135