COVID-19 RegulationsSome municipal functions such as public transport, restaurant hours and liquor sales are impacted by recent national COVID-19 regulations.
Read the COVID-19 regulations.
RepealedThis By-law was repealed on 17 January 2014 by Control of Undertakings that Sell Liquor to the Public.
This is the version of this By-law as it was when it was repealed.
Liquor Trading Days and Hours By-law, 2010
- Published in Western Cape Provincial Gazette no. 6788 on 10 September 2010
- Commenced on 1 January 2011
- [Up to date as at 28 May 2021]
- [Amended by Liquor Trading Days and Hours: Amendment on 26 April 2012]
- [Repealed by Control of Undertakings that Sell Liquor to the Public on 17 January 2014]
PreambleWHEREAS a municipality may, in terms of section 156 of the Constitution, make and administer by-laws for the effective administration of matters which it has the right to administer;WHEREAS it is the intention of the City to set trading days and hours for all licensed premises, businesses or outlet situated within the City of Cape Town that sell liquor to the public;AND NOW THEREFORE, BE IT ENACTED by the Council of the City of Cape Town, as follows:-
1A. Application of the by-lawThis By-law applies to all-(a)licensees, licenced to sell liquor in terms of the Act or any other applicable legislation;(b)licences renewed in terms of the Liquor Act b1989 (Act No.27 0f 1989) within the jurisdiction of the City of Cape Town
2. Trading days and hours for sale and consumption of liquor on licensed premises
3. Trading days and hours for sale of liquor off licensed premisesA licensee may sell liquor for consumption off the licensed premises on the following days and hours:(a)on any day of the week with the exception of Sundays, provided such exception does not apply to a winery; and(b)from 0900 to 1800.
4. Transitional provision
4A. Application for the extension of trading hours
5. Offences and penalties
6. Short titleThis by-law is called the City of Cape Town By-law on Liquor Trading Days and Hours, 2010 and comes into operation on 1 January 2011.
- Entire By-law
- 1. Definitions
- 1A. Application of the by-law
- 2. Trading days and hours for sale and consumption of liquor on licensed premises
- 3. Trading days and hours for sale of liquor off licensed premises
- 4. Transitional provision
- 4A. Application for the extension of trading hours
- 5. Offences and penalties
- 6. Short title