COVID-19 RegulationsSome municipal functions such as public transport, restaurant hours and liquor sales are impacted by recent national COVID-19 regulations.
Read the COVID-19 regulations.
This is the latest version of this By-law.
Municipal Property Rates By-law, 2020
- Published in Gauteng Provincial Gazette no. 181 on 30 September 2020
- Commenced on 1 July 2020
- [Up to date as at 18 February 2021]
PreambleWHEREAS section 2291(1) of the Constitution requires a municipality to impose rates on property and surcharges on fees for the services provided by or behalf of the municipality.AND WHEREAS section 13 of the Municipal System Act read with section 162 of the Constitution require a municipality to promulgate municipal by-laws by publishing them in the gazette of the Gauteng Province.AND WHEREAS section 6 of the Local Government: Municipal Property Rates Act, 2004 requires a municipality to adopt by-laws to give effect to the imp& ent categories of properties liable for the payment of rates: The Rates By-law was approved by Council on the 9th of July 2020.NOW THEREFORE BE IT ENACTED by the Council of the City of Johannesburg Municipality, as follows:
1. DefinitionsIn this by- law, any word or expression to which a meaning has been assigned in the Local Government: Municipal Property Rates Act No 6. Of 2004, as amended, shall bear the same meaning unless the context indicates otherwise."Municipality" means the City of Johannesburg Municipality;"Property Rates Act" means the Local Government: Municipal Property Rates Act, 2004(Act No 6 of 2004) as amended;"Rates Policy" means the policy on the levying of rates on rateable properties of the City of Johannesburg Municipality, contemplated in chapter 2 of the Municipal Property Rates Act.
2. ObjectsThe object of this by-law is to give effect to the implementation of the Rates as contemplated in section 6 of the Municipal Property Rates Act.
3. Adoption and implementation of Rates Policy
4. Contents of Rates PolicyThe Rates Policy shall, inter alia:
5. Enforcement of the Rates PolicyThe Municipality’s Rates Policy shall be enforced through the credit Control and Debt Collection Policy and any further enforcement mechanisms stipulated in the Act and the Municipality’s Rates Policy.
6. Short title and commencementThis By-Law is called the Municipal Property Rates By-Law, and takes effect on 1st July 2020.
History of this By-law
30 September 2020 this versionPublished in Gauteng Provincial Gazette no. 181
1 July 2020By-law commences.