COVID-19 RegulationsSome municipal functions such as public transport, restaurant hours and liquor sales are impacted by recent national COVID-19 regulations.
Read the COVID-19 regulations.
This is the latest version of this By-law.
Parks for Caravans and Mobile Homes By-law, 2007
- Published in Western Cape Provincial Gazette no. 6426 on 16 March 2007
- Commenced on 16 March 2007
- [Up to date as at 9 April 2021]
Purpose of by-law• To promote the achievement of a safe and sought-after tourism environment for the benefit of visitors and residents within the area ofjurisdiction of the municipality.• To provide for procedures, methods and practices to regulate the use and management of parks for caravans and mobile homes.
1. DefinitionsIn this by-law, words used in the masculine gender include the feminine; the singular includes the plural and vice versa; the Afrikaans text shall prevail in the event of an inconsistency between the different texts; and unless the context otherwise indicates:—"camp" or "camping" means to occupy land by standing thereon with a caravan or vehicle or erecting thereon a tent and using such caravan, vehicle or tent for the purpose of habitation and/or sleeping;"camper" means the person who camps and, in relation to a site, to whom a camping permit is issued;"camping permit" means a document issued by the municipality for the purposes contemplated by this by-law or the municipality’s official receipt issued against payment of the prescribed charges in respect of the occupation of a site;"caravan" means any vehicle permanently fitted out for use by persons for living and sleeping purposes, whether or not such a vehicle is a trailer;"mobile home" means a factory assembled structure approved by the municipality with the necessary service connections made so as to be movable on site and designed to be used as a permanent dwelling;"municipality" means the Municipality of Drakenstein established in terms of section 12 of the Local Government: Municipal Structures Act, 1998 (Act 117 of 1998), Provincial Notice 488 dated 22 September 2000 and includes any political structure, political office-bearer, councillor, duly authorised agent thereof or any employee thereof acting in connection with this by-law by virtue of a power vested in the municipality and delegated or subdelegated to such political structure, political office-bearer, councillor, agent or employee;"park" means any land used or intended to be used for the accommodation of caravans or mobile homes;"responsible authority" means the authority or municipality responsible for the execution of environmental health and fire fighting functions within the area ofjurisdiction of Drakenstein Municipality;"site" means the land set aside within a park for the accommodation of a mobile home or a caravan and its towing vehicle, if any.
Application of by-law
2.This by-law shall be applicable to all parks, whether situated on private or public land.
3.This by-law shall not be applicable in respect of—(a)property on which only one or two caravans or mobile homes are accommodated or are intended to be accommodated;(b)agricultural land where caravans or mobile homes or caravans and mobile homes are permitted for bona fide agricultural purposes;(c)property on which more than two caravans or mobile homes are accommodated, where such caravans or mobile homes are occupied by persons for business reasons, and such sanitary and other arrangements affecting the public health as the responsible authority may consider necessary are provided and the caravans and mobile homes are accommodated only for such period and in such numbers as the responsible authority may consider desirable in view of the nature of the aforesaid arrangements.
4.Every owner of a park shall comply with sections 5 to 25.
5.Every owner of a park shall have a plan clearly indicating all the sites in the park, a copy of which shall be tiled with the municipality, and each site shall be clearly demarcated on the ground and shall not be less than 112 square metres in extent.
6.Not more than 50 percent of any site shall be occupied by a caravan or mobile home and such site shall be of such a nature that a caravan or mobile home may be accommodated on any portion thereof.
7.No person shall occupy a caravan in any park, for a period of more than three months, whether continuous or otherwise, in any period of twelve months.
8.Notwithstanding section 7, 10 percent of the sites iu a park or such other greater percentage as the municipality, subject to such additional conditions, as the municipality may deem necessary, may approve may be permanently occupied by caravans or mobile homes or caravans and mobile homes.
9.The number ofpeople occupying any caravan or mobile home shall not exceed the number for which such caravan or mobile home was designed.
10.Any caravan or mobile home on any site shall not be situated closer than 5 metres from a caravan or mobile home on any other site.
11.Access shall be provided to every site in such a manner that it will not be necessary to cross another site to obtain such access.
12.A fireplace or fireplaces may be provided and shall be so situated as not to constitute a fire hazard.
13.(a)Fire-fighting appliances as required by the responsible authority’s by-law relating to fire safety shall be provided at all parks.(b)The appliances referred to in subsection (a) shall be kept filled with sand and water respectively and any other appliances shall be maintained in good working order.
15.Permanent water standpipes shall be provided in such a manner that no site is situated at a greater distance than 20 metres from the nearest standpipe.
16.Central facilities for the washing of pots, pans, crockery and cutlery and for the disposal of kitchen and other waste water shall be provided.
18.There shall be provided for each sex in respect of the first six sites a minimum of two sanitary conveniences and two wash-hand basins and thereafter a minimum of one sanitary convenience and one wash-hand basin for every ten sites or portion thereof. The municipality may require, and prescribe specifications for the provision of separate facilities for disabled people.
19.There shall be provided for each sex in respect of every twelve sites or portion thereof a minimum of one bathroom and one shower cubicle.
21.The municipality may prescribe such additional requirements for water, sewerage and storm water services as it may deem necessary in respect of sites which are occupied on a permanent basis.
24.No person shall in a park—
26. PenaltiesAny person who contravenes or fails to comply with any provision of this by-law shall be guilty of an offence and liable upon conviction to—
27. Repeal of by-lawsThe by-laws listed in the schedule hereto are hereby repealed to the extent indicated in the third column thereof.
28. Short title and commencementThis by-law shall be known as the By-law relating to Parks for Caravans and Mobile Homes and shall come into operation on the date of publication thereof in the Provincial Gazette.
- Entire By-law
- 1. Definitions
- Section 2.
- Section 3.
- Section 4.
- Section 5.
- Section 6.
- Section 7.
- Section 8.
- Section 9.
- Section 10.
- Section 11.
- Section 12.
- Section 13.
- Section 14.
- Section 15.
- Section 16.
- Section 17.
- Section 18.
- Section 19.
- Section 20.
- Section 21.
- Section 22.
- Section 23.
- Section 24.
- Section 25.
- 26. Penalties
- 27. Repeal of by-laws
- 28. Short title and commencement
History of this By-law
16 March 2007 this versionPublished in Western Cape Provincial Gazette no. 6426By-law commences.