COVID-19 RegulationsSome municipal functions such as public transport, restaurant hours and liquor sales are impacted by recent national COVID-19 regulations.
Read the COVID-19 regulations.
This is the latest version of this By-law.
Payment for and Control of Parking (was Parking Meters) By-law, 2007
- Published in Western Cape Provincial Gazette no. 6426 on 16 March 2007
- Commenced on 16 March 2007
- [This is the version of this document from 4 November 2011 and includes any amendments published up to 23 September 2022.]
- [Amended by Parking Meters: Amendment on 4 November 2011]
Purpose of By-law• To provide for the payment of parking fees for the use of parking places;• To provide for the metering of parking and payment therefor;• To provide for procedures, methods and practices to regulate and manage parking.[Purpose of By-law amended by Amendment By-law, 2011]
1. DefinitionsIn this by-law, words used in the masculine gender include the feminine; the singular includes the plural and vice versa; and unless the context otherwise indicates:—[introductory paragraph of Definitions amended by Amendment By-law, 2011]"coin" means a coin of South African currency;"municipality" means Drakenstein Municipality established by Provincial Notice 488 of 22 September 2000, in terms of sections 12 and 14 of the Local Government: Municipal Structures Act, 1998 (Act 117 of 1998) ;[definition of "municipality" amended by Amendment By-law, 2011]"parking meter" means a device for automatically registering and visibly recording the passage of the parking period, operated in accordance with the directions thereon, and includes any post or fixture to which it is attached;[definition of "parking meter" amended by Amendment By-law, 2011]"parking period" means that period of time of parking in a parking place which is determined by the insertion into a parking meter of the appropriate coin, or in any other manual or electronic manner;[definition of "parking period" amended by Amendment By-law, 2011]"parking place" means a demarcated parking place for which a parking fee has been determined and includes any parking place in a Controlled Parking Area, determined in terms of the applicable bylaw ;[definition of "parking place" amended by Amendment By-law, 2011][definition of "traffic officer" deleted by Amendment By-law, 2011]"vehicle" means a vehicle as defined in the National Road Traffic Act, 1996, and any other word or expression shall have the meaning assigned thereto in the Act.
3.It shall be unlawful, either with or without the insertion of a fresh coin in a parking meter, to leave any vehicle in a parking place after the expiration of a parking period as indicated by the parking meter, or to return the vehicle to that parking place within 15 minutes of such expiration.[section 3 amended by Amendment By-law, 2011]
4.The insertion of the prescribed coin in a parking meter or the payment of the parking fee shall entitle the person inserting or paying it to stop or park a vehicle in the appropriate parking place for a period corresponding with the payment so made, provided that notwithstanding the making of a payment as foresaid, nothing in this by-law shall entitle any person to contravene any road traffic sign prohibiting the stopping or parking of vehicles between the specified hours.[section 4 amended by Amendment By-law, 2011]
5. Defective parking metersWhere a person has ascertained that the parking meter at any parking place is not operating, he shall be entitled to leave a vehicle in that space but shall in that case immediately inform the municipality by the quickest possible means of the defect, as well as the parking meter number and the registration number.
6. OffencesIt shall be unlawful—
7.No person shall cause or permit any vehicle to be stopped or parked in any parking place which is already being used by some other vehicle.
8.No person shall cause or permit any vehicle to be stopped or parked in a parking place in such a manner that any portion of the vehicle protrudes over or beyond any of the lines of demarcation of such parking place except as provided in section 2(3).
9.No person shall cause, permit or suffer any vehicle of which he is the driver or which is under his control to be stopped or parked in any parking place except as permitted by the provisions of this by-law.
10. Control of trafficThe Municipality may whenever it deems necessary or expedient to do so in the interest of the movement or control of traffic, place or erect a road traffic sign or signs indicating that there shall be no stopping or parking in any parking place or places and no person shall stop or park a vehicle or cause a permit a vehicle to be stopped or parked in such parking place during the hours which stopping or parking therein is prohibited in accordance with the indications on such sign.[section 10 amended by Amendment By-law, 2011]
11. Parking hoursThe provisions of this by-law shall be in operation during the periods determined by the Municipality. Failing such determination, it will be applicable at all times.[section 11 amended by Amendment By-law, 2011]
12. Two-wheeled vehiclesThe Municipality may also set aside and demarcate within the parking meter areas smaller spaces for the parking of two-wheeled vehicles, and the provisions of this by-law shall be applicable to such smaller parking places.[section 13 deleted by Amendment By-law, 2011]
13. PresumptionWhenever a vehicle is stopped or parked in contravention of a provision of this by-law it shall be presumed until the contrary is proved that such vehicle was so stopped or parked by the owner thereof.[section 14 renumbered section 13 by Amendment By-law, 2011]
14. ExemptionsNotwithstanding anything to the contrary in this by-law contained, the driver or other person in charge of the following vehicles may stop or park the following vehicles in a parking place without payment of the fees envisaged herein—
15. PenaltiesAny person who contravenes or fails to comply with any provision of this by-law shall be guilty of an offence and liable upon conviction to—
16. Repeal of by-lawsThe by-laws listed in the schedule hereto are hereby repealed to the extent indicated in the third column thereof.[section 17 renumbered section 16 by Amendment By-law, 2011]
17. Short title and commencementThis by-law shall be known as the By-law relating to Payment for and Control of Parking and shall come into operation on the date of publication thereof in the Provincial Gazette.[section 18 renumbered section 17 and amended by Amendment By-law, 2011][Schedule deleted by Amendment By-law, 2011]
History of this By-law
Download for later
Download the current version of this By-law to read later on your desktop, e-reader or tablet.