COVID-19 RegulationsSome municipal functions such as public transport, restaurant hours and liquor sales are impacted by recent national COVID-19 regulations.
Read the COVID-19 regulations.
RepealedThis By-law was repealed on 23 July 2021 by Property Rates.
This is the version of this By-law as it was when it was repealed.
Property Rates By-law, 2020
- Published in Western Cape Provincial Gazette no. 8271 on 17 July 2020
- Commenced on 1 July 2020
- [This is the version of this document from 17 July 2020 and includes any amendments published up to 17 March 2023.]
- [Repealed by Property Rates on 23 July 2021]
2. InterpretationIn this By-Law, any word or expression to which a meaning has been assigned in the Local Government: Municipal Property Rates Act, (Act 6 of 2004) shall bear the same meaning unless the context indicates otherwise."Municipality" means Kannaland Municipality (WC041)."Rates Policy" means the Property Rates Policy adopted by the Municipality in terms of this ByLaw."Constitution" means the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa."Council" means the Council of the Municipality."Credit Control and Debt Collection Policy" means the Municipality's Credit Control and Debt Collection Policy as stipulated by sections 96(b) and 97 of the Systems Act."Systems Act" means the Local Government: Municipal Systems Act, (Act 32 of 2000)."Property Rates Act" means the Local Government: Municipal Property Rates Act, (Act 6 of 2004) including the amendment Acts and Regulations pertaining to the same."Rates" means a municipal rate on property as envisaged in section 229(1)(a) of the Constitution.
3. ObjectiveThe objective of this By-Law is to give effect to the implementation of the Rates Policy as contemplated in section 6 of the Property Rates Act.
4. Adoption and implementation of Rates Policy
5. Contents of Rates PolicyThe Municipality's Rates Policy shall, inter alia:
6. Enforcement of Rates PolicyThe Rates Policy of the Municipality shall be enforced through the Municipality’s Credit Control and Debt Collection By-Law and its associated Policy and any further enforcement mechanisms stipulated in the Municipality's Rates Policy.
7. RepealThe provisions of any by-laws relating to Property Rates by the Municipality are hereby repealed insofar as they relate to matters provided for in this By-Law.
8. InterpretationThis By-Law must be read in conjunction with the Rates Policy.
9. Operative dateThis By-Law is the Property Rates By-Law of Kannaland Municipality and shall take effect on 01 July 2020.
History of this By-law
23 July 2021Repealed by Property Rates
17 July 2020 this versionPublished in Western Cape Provincial Gazette no. 8271
1 July 2020By-law commences.
Download for later
Download the current version of this By-law to read later on your desktop, e-reader or tablet.