This is the latest version of this General Notice.
Independent Communications Authority of South Africa Act
The ICT COVID-19 National Disaster Regulations
General Notice 238 of 2020
- Published in Government Gazette no. 43207 on 6 April 2020
- Assented to on 3 April 2020
- Commenced on 6 April 2020
- [Up to date as at 5 May 2020]
- [Amended by ICT COVID-19 National Disaster Amendment Regulations (General Notice 252 of 2020) on 5 May 2020]
4. Minimum standards
Tariffs and fees:
South African sound and television broadcasting services performance period:
Quarterly submission of programming logs and recordings to the authority:
Submission of applications
Television broadcasting services to persons with disabilities
Deployment of electronic communications facilities
5. Type Approval
6. Access to radio frequency spectrum
7. Postal services
9. Contravention and penalties
10. Short title and commencement
|COVID-19 Temporal spectrum access framework|
|Bands under consideration||Condition||Incumbents in the band||Available bandwidth||Criteria|
|IMT2600||The channel arrangement of the IMT2600 (2500 - 2690 MHz) in TDD across the available 170 MHz
The channel arrangement of the IMT2600 is two folds, 2*70MHz FDD and l*40MHz TDD.
FDD portion: 2500 - 2570 MHz//2620-2690 MHz
TDD portion: 2575 -2615 MHz
|RAIN is assigned 1*20MHz on the TDD portion from 2575 MHz to 2595 MHz||170 MHz TDD Portion
70 MHz FDD Portion; and
20 MHz TDD portion (2595 - 2615 MHz)
|The I-ECS and I-ECNS who needs access to this band need to demonstrate the impact on network performance will be with additional spectrum. The following method can be followed:
1. Provide the network performance report before the COVID-19 outbreak with the currently assigned spectrum holding;
2. Provide the current network performance;
3. Indicate the Areas that are highly constrained;
4. Provide the network projections during the national lockdown;
5. Indicate the band you require access to and the bandwidth required (For the immediate use only);
6. Provide the modelled network performance with the additional spectrum you require; and
7. Provide benefits to be realized by the consumers (i.e. reduced data prices, free daily bundle to all the customers, wi-fi connectivity etc.)
|IMT2300||The channel arrangement of the IMT2300 is in TDD mode.||Telkom is assigned 1*60MHz from 2300-2360 MHz||1*40 MHz (2360-2400 MHz)|
|IMT3500||The channel arrangement of the IMT3500 is in TDD mode.||Telkom is assigned 1*28 MHz from 3400 - 3428 MHz in the band; and
Liquid Telecom is assigned 1*56 MHz from 3544 MHz to 3600 MHz in the band.
|1*116 MHz (3428 MHz to 3544 MHz)|
|IMT700 and IMT800||The channel arrangement is on the FDD mode.
IMT700: 703 - 733 MHz/758-788 MHz
|Broadcasting services. There are a few analogue transmitters switched off.||Not entirely available. The Authority should verify any proposed use of these bands to ensure that the broadcasting services are not affected.
Otherwise, the TVWS technology can be deployed temporarily in conjunction with CSIR.
History of this General Notice
Download for later
Download the current version of this By-law to read later on your desktop, e-reader or tablet.