This is the latest version of this Government Notice.
Disaster Management Act, 2002
Explanatory Note on Regulations Issued 3 December 2020
Government Notice 1292 of 2020
- Published in Government Gazette no. 43966 on 3 December 2020
- Commenced on 3 December 2020
- [Up to date as at 3 December 2020]
1. The purpose of this explanatory memorandumThe purpose of this explanatory memorandum is to provide a general explanation of the Regulations published on 3 December 2020.
2. Alert Level 1: Regulations applicable in the whole country(a)Alert Level 1 applies throughout the country (except Nelson Mandela Bay, which is determined as a hotspot), with new amendments to regulation 73 regarding initiation practices.(b)The full set of regulations will continue to apply from 4 December 2020 as published on 3 December 2020.(c)Initiation practices(i)The regulations on initiation practices are amended for Alert Level 1.(ii)Initiation practices remain prohibited in the country, except as indicated below.(iii)The Eastern Cape Province, being the only province to have developed a Risk Adjusted Plan for conducting initiation ceremonies, will be permitted to conduct initiation practices from 17 December 2020, in line with the Risk Adjusted Plan.
3. Additional restrictions applicable in Nelson Mandela Bay, determined as a hotspotThe additional restrictions applicable in Nelson Mandela Bay, which is declared a hotspot, are contained in Chapter 7 of the Regulations. This will come into operation on 4 December 2020. The additional restrictions relate to:(a)Movement of personsTighter restrictions with regards to the curfew are implemented, with the curfew being from 22H00 until 04H00.(b)FuneralsThe restrictions as per Alert Level 1 remains the same except for the additional restriction for hotspots that no after-funeral functions will be allowed.(c)GatheringsTighter restrictions with regards to the total of people who may gather are implemented.(d)Initiation practicesInitiation practices will remain prohibited in Nelson Mandela Bay, which is determined as a hotspot.
History of this Government Notice
3 December 2020 this versionPublished in Government Gazette no. 43966Government Notice commences.
Download for later
Download the current version of this By-law to read later on your desktop, e-reader or tablet.