Disaster Management Act, 2002
Public Transport Services Directions, 2020
Government Notice 412 of 2020
- Published in Government Gazette no. 43157 on 26 March 2020
- Commenced on 26 March 2020
- [Up to date as at 7 April 2020]
- [Repealed by Public Transport Services Directions, 2020 (Government Notice 493 of 2020) on 4 May 2020]
1. DefinitionsIn these directions, any word or expression bears the meaning assigned to it in the National Land Transport Act, 2009 or its regulations, unless the context otherwise indicates-"the Act" means the National Land Transport Act, 2009 (Act No. 5 of 2009);"COVID-19", means the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCov) which is an infectious disease caused by a virus, which emerged during 2019 and was declared a global pandemic by the WHO during the year 2020 that has previously not been scientifically identified in humans;"public transport facility", means any rank, train stations, terminal or any facility which may be used for public transport purposes;"public transport vehicle" means a motorcar, minibus, midibus and bus as defined in terms of the Act.
2. Purpose of directions[There are two sections numbered 2 in the original gazette notice.]
3. Application of the directionsThese directions are applicable to all public transport services.
4. Provision of improved access and hygiene, disinfection control on all public transport facilities.All owners of public transport facilities must on regular intervals provide adequate sanitizers or other hygiene dispenser for washing of hands and disinfection equipment for users of public transport services for the duration of the directions.
5. Embarkation of public transport passengers in the public transport vehicles
6. Prohibition of service of certain public transport during lockdown
7. Prohibition of standing in a public transport vehicle
8. Loading capacity of public transport during lockdown
9. Enforcement of these regulationsAuthorised officers as defined in terms of the Act must enforce the provisions of these directions.
10. OffencesAny person who fails or refuses to comply with these directions, is guilty of an offence and on conviction liable to a fine or to imprisonment for a period not exceeding six months or to both such fine and imprisonment.
11. Short title and commencementThese Directions are called the Public Transport Services Directions, 2020 and comes in to operation on the date of publication by the Minister in the Gazette.
- Entire Government Notice
- 1. Definitions
- 2. Authority
- 2. Purpose of directions
- 3. Application of the directions
- 4. Provision of improved access and hygiene, disinfection control on all public transport facilities.
- 5. Embarkation of public transport passengers in the public transport vehicles
- 6. Prohibition of service of certain public transport during lockdown
- 7. Prohibition of standing in a public transport vehicle
- 8. Loading capacity of public transport during lockdown
- 9. Enforcement of these regulations
- 10. Offences
- 11. Short title and commencement