RepealedThis Government Notice was repealed on 4 May 2020 by Preventative Measures in the Railway Operations (COVID19 Control Measures on the Operations by Rail) Directions, 2020.
This is the version of this Government Notice as it was when it was repealed.
Disaster Management Act, 2002
Preventative Measures in the Railway Operations (COVID-19 Control Measures on the Operations by Rail) Regulations, 2020
Government Notice 414 of 2020
- Published in Government Gazette no. 43159 on 26 March 2020
- Commenced on 26 March 2020
- [This is the version of this document from 26 March 2020.]
1. DefinitionsIn these directions, any other word or expression to which a meaning has been assigned in the Act shall have that meaning assigned to it in the Act, and unless the context requires otherwise -"the Act" means the National Railway Safety Regulator Act, 2002 (Act No. 16 of 2002);"COVID-19", means the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCov) which is an infectious disease caused by a virus, which emerged during 2019 and was declared a global pandemic by the WHO during the year 2020 that has previously not been scientifically identified in humans;"isolation" means separating a sick individual with a contagious disease from healthy individuals without that contagious disease in such a manner as to prevent the spread of infection or contamination;"Minister" means the Minister as defined in the Act;"National Institute of Communicable Diseases" means a specialised national public health institute established under the National Health Laboratory Services to provide reference microbiology, virology, epidemiology, surveillance and public health research to support the government’s response to communicable disease threats."national state of disaster" means the national state of disaster declared by Government Notice No. R. 312 of 15 March 2020; and"Railway Safety Regulator" means the Regulator as defined in the Act;
3. Purpose of Directions
4. Application of the DirectionsThese directions are applicable to all rail operators issued with a safety permit in terms of the Act.
5. Development of COVID-19 Management Plan
6. Health and awareness
7. Procedures at hand-over points, loading points and terminals depots
8. Provision of hygiene, screening equipment and disinfection control at the train stations, terminals and hand-over facilities
9. Prohibition of overcrowding and overloading of trains
10. Reporting to the Railway Safety Regulator and the relevant authorities
11. Oversight responsibilities by Railway Safety Regulator
12. Ceasing of passenger and commuter rail operations
14. Short title and commencement
History of this Government Notice
4 May 2020
26 March 2020 this versionPublished in Government Gazette no. 43159Government Notice commences.
Download for later
Download the current version of this By-law to read later on your desktop, e-reader or tablet.