This is the latest version of this Government Notice.
Disaster Management Act, 2002
Directions to facilitate the availability and use of digital technologies to combat the spread of COVID-19
Government Notice 417 of 2020
- Published in Government Gazette no. 43164 on 26 March 2020
- Commenced on 26 March 2020
- [This is the version of this document as it was from 6 April 2020 to 7 May 2020.]
1. InterpretationIn these directions, a word or expression bears the meaning assigned to it in the Broadband Infraco Act, 2007 (Act No. 33 of 2007), the Electronic Communications Act, 2005 (Act No. 36 of 2005), the Postal Services Act, 1998 (Act No. 124 of 1998), the Broadcasting Act, 1999 (Act No. 4 of 1999) and regulations published on 18 March 2020 by the Minister of Cooperative Governments and Traditional Affairs in terms section 27(2) of the Disaster Management Act, 2002 (Disaster Management Regulations, 2020), unless the context otherwise indicates, and—"Eskom" means Eskom as defined in section 2 of the Eskom Act No. 40 of 1987;"fake news" means statements with the intention to deceive as contemplated in Disaster Management Regulations, 2020;"SASSA" means SASSA as defined in the South African Social Security Agency Act, 2004 (Act No. 09 of 2004);"SANRAL" means SANRAL as defined in the South African National Roads Agency Limited and National Roads Act, 1998 (Act No. 7 of 1998);"Sentech" means Sentech as defined in the Sentech Act, 1996 (Act No. 63 of 1996);"SITA" means SITA as defined in the State Information Technology Agency Act, 1998 (Act No. 88 and 1998);"Transnet" mean Transnet as established in terms of section 22 of the Legal Succession to the South African Transport Services Act, 2008 (Act No. 38 of 2008);".ZADNA" means .za Domain Name Authority as defined in the Electronic Communications and Transaction Act, 2002 (Act No. 25 of 2002).
2. ScopeThese Directions must be read with the laws referred to in paragraph 1 above and seek to provide for the availability and use of technologies to combat COVID-19 in the following areas:
4. PurposeThe purpose of these Directions is to facilitate the availability and use of digital technologies to combat the spread of COVID-19 in South Africa, through:
6. Availability of communications and digital services
7. Type approval
8. Individual track and trace
9. Support to education sector
10. Support to health sector
11. Roles of state-owned entities
12. Prohibition on price increment and mobile number prtabilityAll licensed entities must not effect any price increases and not perform mobile number portability for duration of the COVID-19 national disaster.
13. CommencementThese Directions will come into operation on the date of publication in the Government Gazette.
History of this Government Notice
6 April 2020 this version
26 March 2020Published in Government Gazette no. 43164Government Notice commences.Read this version
Download for later
Download the current version of this By-law to read later on your desktop, e-reader or tablet.