This is the version of this Government Notice as it was from 9 April 2020 to 10 June 2020. Read the version currently in force.
Disaster Management Act, 2002
Department of Sports, Art and Culture: Directions to prevent and combat the spread of COVID-19
Government Notice 461 of 2020
- Published in Government Gazette no. 43226 on 9 April 2020
- Assented to on 8 April 2020
- Commenced on 9 April 2020
- [This is the version of this document as it was from 9 April 2020 to 10 June 2020.]
1. DefinitionsIn these Directions, a word or expression bears the meaning assigned to it in the Regulations promulgated in Government Gazette No. 43107, Government Notice No.R318 of 18 March 2020 and in the Regulations promulgated in Government Gazette No. 43148, Government Notice No.398 of 25 March 2020, in terms of section 27(2) of the Disaster Management Act, 2002 and unless the context otherwise indicates—"affected public entity" means a public entity under the Department of Sport, Arts and Culture whose Council’s or Board’s term of office has expired or is about to expire;"national state of disaster" means the national state of disaster declared by Government Notice No. R. 313 published in Government Gazette No. 40396 of 15 March 2020;"the Regulations" means the Regulations published in Government Gazette No. 43107, Government Notice No. R318 of 18 March 2020.
2. PurposeThe purpose of these Directions is to—
3. Scope and applicationThese Directions apply to all affected public entities and sport bodies, arts and cultural bodies under the Department of Sport, Arts and Culture including events relating thereto.
4. AuthorisationThese Directions are issued in terms of regulation 10(8) of the Regulations.
5. Extension of term of office of councils and boards of public entitiesThe term of office of a Council or a Board of an affected public entity may, subject to legislation establishing such a Council or Board or regulating the appointment of members of such a Council or Board, be extended from its date of expiry until the termination of the national state of disaster, if it is impossible or impractical to reconstitute the Council or Board as a result of the lockdown necessitated by COVID-19.
6. Suspension of sporting, arts, cultural and religious eventsAll sporting, arts, cultural and religious events organised or held in a stadium or venue as defined in section 1 of the Safety at Sport and Recreational Events Act, 2010 (Act No. 2 of 2010) are suspended until the Minister directs otherwise or the national state of disaster terminates, whichever occurs first.
7. CommencementThese Directions come into effect on the date of publication in the Government Gazette and terminate on the date when the national state of disaster terminates.
History of this Government Notice
5 January 2021Read this version
7 October 2020Read this version
28 August 2020Read this version
6 August 2020Read this version
6 July 2020Amended by Resumption of Contact and Non-contact Sport and the Opening of Places and Premises for Arts and Culture ActivitiesRead this version
11 June 2020Amended by Department of Sports, Art and Culture: Directions to prevent and combat the spread of COVID-19: AmendmentRead this version
9 April 2020 this versionPublished in Government Gazette no. 43226Government Notice commences.
8 April 2020Assented to by council.
Download for later
Download the current version of this By-law to read later on your desktop, e-reader or tablet.