RepealedThis Government Notice was repealed on 29 January 2021 by Directions on Measures to Address, Prevent and Combat the Spread of COVID-19 in Railway Operations for Adjusted Alert Level 3.
This is the version of this Government Notice as it was from 14 May 2020 to 31 May 2020. Read it as it was when it was repealed.
Disaster Management Act, 2002
Preventative Measures in the Railway Operations (COVID19 Control Measures on the Operations by Rail) Directions, 2020
Government Notice 494 of 2020
- Published in Government Gazette no. 43273 on 4 May 2020
- Assented to on 4 May 2020
- Commenced on 4 May 2020
- [This is the version of this document as it was from 14 May 2020 to 31 May 2020.]
- [Amended by Preventative Measures in the Railway Operations (COVID19 Control Measures on the Operations by Rail) Directions, 2020: Amendment (Government Notice 536 of 2020) on 14 May 2020]
- [Repealed by Directions on Measures to Address, Prevent and Combat the Spread of COVID-19 in Railway Operations for Adjusted Alert Level 3 (Government Notice of 2021) on 29 January 2021]
1. DefinitionsIn these directions, any other word or expression to which a meaning has been assigned in the Act shall have that meaning assigned to it in the Act, and unless the context requires otherwise -"the Act" means the National Railway Safety Regulator Act, 2002 (Act No. 16 of 2002);"COVID-19" means the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCov2) which is an infectious disease caused by a virus that has previously not been scientifically identified in humans, which emerged during 2019 and was declared a global pandemic by the World Health Organisation in 2020;"Disaster Management Act" means Disaster Management Act, 2002 (Act No 57 of 2002);"isolation" means separating a sick individual with a contagious disease from healthy individuals without that contagious disease in such a manner as to prevent the spread of infection or contamination;"Minister" means the Minister as defined in the Act;"National Institute of Communicable Diseases" means a specialised national public health institute established under the National Health Laboratory Services to provide reference microbiology, virology, epidemiology, surveillance and public health research to support the government's response to communicable disease threats."national state of disaster" means the national state of disaster declared by Government Notice No. R. 312 of 15 March 2020; and"Railway Safety Regulator" means the Regulator as defined in the Act.
3. Purpose of directionsThe purpose of the directions is to provide for the:
4. Application of the directionsThese directions are applicable to all rail operators issued with a safety permit in terms of the Act.
5. Development of COVID-19 management plan
6. Health and awarenessOperators must implement health and awareness campaign on the COVID-19 to rail passengers, Contractors, Commuters and Customers within their operational jurisdiction.
7. Procedure at hand-over points, loading points and terminal depots
8. Provision of access, hygiene, screening equipment and disinfection control at train stations, terminals and hand-over facilities
9. Prohibition of overcrowding and overloading of trains
10. Reporting to the Railway Safety Regulator and the relevant authorities
11. Oversight responsibilities by Railway Safety Regulator
12. Suspension of rail operations
13. Resumption of service
[direction 13 substituted by Government Notice 536 of 2020]
|The Gautrain will resume its commuter services from—(i) Park Station to Hatfield station; and(ii) Sandton station to Rhodesfield station.||(1) PRASA commuter services will remain suspended during Alert Level 4.(2) During Alert Level 4, PRASA will focus on the maintenance, servicing and testing of its fleet, and will further sanitize and disinfect its stations and hubs in preparation for the resumption of its services.|
14. Operating times
15. Declaration of essential serviceFor the purpose of these directions the following services are declared as essential services:
16. Repeal of DirectionsThe Directions published by Government Notice No. 414 of the Government Gazette 43159 of 26 March 2020, are hereby repealed.
17. Short title and commencementThese Directions are called Preventative Measures in the Railway Operations (COVID-19 Control Measures on the Operations by Rail) Directions, 2020, and comes in to operation on the date of publication by the Minister in the Gazette.
History of this Government Notice
29 January 2021
2 September 2020Amended by Preventative Measures in the Railway Operations (COVID19 Control Measures on the Operations by Rail) Directions, 2020: AmendmentRead this version
1 June 2020Amended by Preventative Measures in the Railway Operations (COVID19 Control Measures on the Operations by Rail) Directions, 2020: AmendmentRead this version
14 May 2020 this version
4 May 2020Assented to by council.Published in Government Gazette no. 43273Government Notice commences.Read this version
Download for later
Download the current version of this By-law to read later on your desktop, e-reader or tablet.