RepealedThis Government Notice was repealed on 28 October 2021 by Withdrawal of Various Directions Regarding Measures to Address, Prevent and Combat the Spread of COVID-19.
This is the version of this Government Notice as it was when it was repealed.
Disaster Management Act, 2002
Directions Regarding Measures to Address, Prevent and Combat the Spread of COVID-19 in Relation to Recycling of Waste
Government Notice 539 of 2020
- Published in Government Gazette no. 43325 on 14 May 2020
- Commenced on 14 May 2020
- [This is the version of this document from 14 May 2020.]
1. DefinitionsIn these Directions, any word or expression to which a meaning has been assigned in the Regulations or the National Environmental Management: Waste Act, bears the meaning so assigned and, unless the context otherwise indicates—"National Environmental Management: Waste Act" means the National Environmental Management: Waste Act, 2008 (Act No. 59 of 2008);"Regulations" means the Regulations issued in terms of section 27(2) of the Disaster Management Act and published on 29 April 2020 in Government Notice No. R. 480 of Government Gazette No. 43258; and"Waste Information Regulations" means the National Waste Information Regulations issued in terms of section 69(1) of the National Environmental Management: Waste Act and published on 13 August 2012 in Government Notice No. R. 625 of Government Gazette No. 35583.
2. PurposeThe purpose of these Directions is to—
3. ApplicationThese Directions apply to persons carrying out activities as contemplated in section 2(a)(iii) and 16(1)(b) of National Environmental Management: Waste Act and includes—
4. Directions related to formal recycling establishments of glass, paper, plastic, metal, tyres and other waste streams as contemplated in Annexure 3 and 4 of the Waste Information Regulations
5. Directions related to informal recyclers and waste pickers
6. Commencement and durationThese Directions come into effect on the date of publication in the Government Gazette, and will apply for the period of Alert Level 4.
History of this Government Notice
28 October 2021
14 May 2020 this versionPublished in Government Gazette no. 43325Government Notice commences.
Download for later
Download the current version of this By-law to read later on your desktop, e-reader or tablet.