This is the latest version of this Government Notice.
Disaster Management Act, 2002
Department of Social Development: Directions to Prevent and Combat the Spread of COVID-19
Government Notice 993 of 2020
- Published in Government Gazette no. 43710 on 11 September 2020
- Assented to on 11 September 2020
- Commenced on 11 September 2020
- [Up to date as at 11 September 2020]
1. DefinitionsIn these Directions, a word or expression bears the meaning assigned to it in the Regulations and legislation applicable to the Department of Social Development, the South African Social Security Agency, and the National Development Agency and unless the context indicates otherwise— "child" means a child from birth up to the age of six (6) years (the calendar year a child turns six), and "children" has the same meaning; "Children’s Act" means the Children’s Act, 2005 (Act No. 38 of 2005); "Department of Health Guidelines" means the guidelines for symptom monitoring and management of essential workers for COVID-19 related infection, issued by the National Department of Health in April 2020, accessible through the following link: https://www.saiosh.co.za/news/502409/Guidelines-for-symptom-monitoring-and-management-of-essential-workers-for-COVID-19-related-infection.htm; "Department of Health" means the national and provincial Departments of Health; "designated person" means a person that is designated or requested by a parent or legal guardian to provide information or act on his or her behalf; "ECD programme" means, with due consideration to the National Integrated Early Childhood Development Policy (2015), the provision of early learning and development opportunities, daily care and support to children, that fall within the provisions of the Children’s Act, and includes - (a) an ECD centre (section 93(5)(a); (b) a child minder; (c) a playgroup; (d) a toy-library; (e) a mobile early childhood development programme; and (f) a parental support programme; "Minister" means the Minister responsible for social development; "partial care facility" means a partial care facility that provides an "after school service" as defined in regulation 12(2) of the general regulations regarding children made in terms of section 306 of the Children’s Act (published in Government Notice No. R. 261 of 1 April 2010, Government Gazette No. 33076); "premises" means the physical location where an early childhood development programme is conducted either on a permanent basis, in the case of a partial care facility, toy library or child minder, or on a temporary basis, in case of a playgroup, mobile early childhood development programme or parent support group, and includes all administrative spaces associated with the programme or being part of the physical location of the programme and outside play, recreation and waiting areas; "Regulations" means the Regulations made in terms of section 27(2) of the Disaster Management Act and published in Government Gazette No. 43258, Government Notice No. R.480 of 29 April 2020, as amended by Government Notices No. R. 608 of 28 May 2020, R. 714 of 25 June 2020 of 12 July 2020, R. 846 of 31 July 2020 and R. 891 of 17 August 2020; "staff" unless otherwise indicated, includes an early childhood development educator, early childhood development practitioner, administrative and other support staff, either full time or part time, involved in the operations of the early childhood development programme; and "standard operating procedures" means the standard operating procedures and guidelines for early childhood development programmes on COVID-19 or any amendment thereof published on the Department of Social Development’s website.
2. ObjectsThe objects of these directions are to— (a) provide for arrangements for a return of children who have attended an ECD programme or a partial care facility immediately prior to the commencement of the lock down to such programme or facility; (b) provide for an ECD programme or a partial care facility to comply with the provisions of, and obligations provided for in, the Regulations; (c) ensure a uniform approach in respect of the manner in which children may return to ECD programmes or partial care facilities; and (d) ensure compliance with Alert level 2 Regulations published in Government Notice No. R891 of 17 August 2020.
3. Scope and application
4. Reopening of ECD programmes or partial care facilities
5. Conditions for return of children to ECD programme or partial care facility
7. Sanitisers, hand washing, disinfectants and masks
8. Social distancing in an ECD programme or partial care facility
9. Adjustment to and implementation of early learning curriculum and learning programme
10. General safety measures at ECD programme or partial care facility for duration of national state of disaster
11. Old Age Homes and Frail Care FacilitiesVisits to Old Age Homes and Frail Care Facilities are allowed provided that- (a) the visits are planned; (b) there is a pre-visit screening call; and (c) visitors are subjected to symptom checking and determination of previous known exposure to COVID-19.
12. Movement of children between co-holders of parental responsibilities and rightsMovement of children between co-holders of parental responsibilities and rights or a caregiver, as defined in section 1(1) of the Children’s Act is permitted.
13. Community nutritional centresVisits by beneficiaries to, gathering, seating and eating in, Community Nutritional centres is allowed, subject to compliance with the following measures;
14. Withdrawal of DirectionsThe Directions published in Government Notice No.762 of 10 July 2020 are hereby withdrawn.
15. CommencementThese Directions come into effect on the date of publication in the Government Gazette.
- Entire Government Notice
- 1. Definitions
- 2. Objects
- 3. Scope and application
- 4. Reopening of ECD programmes or partial care facilities
- 5. Conditions for return of children to ECD programme or partial care facility
- 6. Screening
- 7. Sanitisers, hand washing, disinfectants and masks
- 8. Social distancing in an ECD programme or partial care facility
- 9. Adjustment to and implementation of early learning curriculum and learning programme
- 10. General safety measures at ECD programme or partial care facility for duration of national state of disaster
- 11. Old Age Homes and Frail Care Facilities
- 12. Movement of children between co-holders of parental responsibilities and rights
- 13. Community nutritional centres
- 14. Withdrawal of Directions
- 15. Commencement
History of this Government Notice
11 September 2020 this versionAssented to by council.Published in Government Gazette no. 43710Government Notice commences.
Download for later
Download the current version of this By-law to read later on your desktop, e-reader or tablet.