This is the latest version of this Government Notice.
Disaster Management Act, 2002
Department of Social Development: Directions to Prevent and Combat the Spread of COVID-19
Government Notice 993 of 2020
- Published in Government Gazette no. 43710 on 11 September 2020
- Assented to on 11 September 2020
- Commenced on 11 September 2020
- [This is the version of this document from 11 September 2020.]
1. DefinitionsIn these Directions, a word or expression bears the meaning assigned to it in the Regulations and legislation applicable to the Department of Social Development, the South African Social Security Agency, and the National Development Agency and unless the context indicates otherwise—"child" means a child from birth up to the age of six (6) years (the calendar year a child turns six), and "children" has the same meaning;"Children’s Act" means the Children’s Act, 2005 (Act No. 38 of 2005);"Department of Health Guidelines" means the guidelines for symptom monitoring and management of essential workers for COVID-19 related infection, issued by the National Department of Health in April 2020, accessible through the following link:https://www.saiosh.co.za/news/502409/Guidelines-for-symptom-monitoring-and-management-of-essential-workers-for-COVID-19-related-infection.htm;"Department of Health" means the national and provincial Departments of Health;"designated person" means a person that is designated or requested by a parent or legal guardian to provide information or act on his or her behalf;"ECD programme" means, with due consideration to the National Integrated Early Childhood Development Policy (2015), the provision of early learning and development opportunities, daily care and support to children, that fall within the provisions of the Children’s Act, and includes -
2. ObjectsThe objects of these directions are to—
3. Scope and application
4. Reopening of ECD programmes or partial care facilities
5. Conditions for return of children to ECD programme or partial care facility
7. Sanitisers, hand washing, disinfectants and masks
8. Social distancing in an ECD programme or partial care facility
9. Adjustment to and implementation of early learning curriculum and learning programme
10. General safety measures at ECD programme or partial care facility for duration of national state of disaster
11. Old Age Homes and Frail Care FacilitiesVisits to Old Age Homes and Frail Care Facilities are allowed provided that-
12. Movement of children between co-holders of parental responsibilities and rightsMovement of children between co-holders of parental responsibilities and rights or a caregiver, as defined in section 1(1) of the Children’s Act is permitted.
13. Community nutritional centresVisits by beneficiaries to, gathering, seating and eating in, Community Nutritional centres is allowed, subject to compliance with the following measures;
14. Withdrawal of DirectionsThe Directions published in Government Notice No.762 of 10 July 2020 are hereby withdrawn.
15. CommencementThese Directions come into effect on the date of publication in the Government Gazette.
History of this Government Notice
11 September 2020 this versionAssented to by council.Published in Government Gazette no. 43710Government Notice commences.
Download for later
Download the current version of this By-law to read later on your desktop, e-reader or tablet.