This is the latest version of this Government Notice.
Disaster Management Act, 2002
COGTA COVID-19 Disaster Response Directions, 2020
Government Notice R399 of 2020
- Published in Government Gazette no. 43147 on 25 March 2020
- Commenced on 25 March 2020
- [Up to date as at 3 July 2020]
- [Amended by COGTA COVID-19 Disaster Response Directions, 2020: Amendment (Government Notice R432 of 2020) on 30 March 2020]
- [Amended by COGTA COVID-19 Disaster Response Directions, 2020: Amendment (Government Notice 510 of 2020) on 7 May 2020]
- [Amended by COGTA COVID-19 Disaster Response Directions, 2020: Amendment (Government Notice 748 of 2020) on 3 July 2020]
2. PurposeTo direct municipalities and provinces in respect of the following matters in response to COVID-19:(a)Provision of water and sanitation services;(b)Hygiene education, communication and awareness;(c)Waste management, cleansing and sanitization;(d)Municipal public spaces, facilities and offices;(e)Customary initiations and cultural practices(f)Isolation and quarantine;(g)Monitoring and enforcement;(h)Municipal operations and governance;(i)Institutional arrangements and development of COVID-19 response plans; and(j)Precautionary measures to mitigate employee health and safety risks.
3. ScopeThese Directions apply to all provinces, municipalities, and where indicated, institutions of Traditional Leadership.
4. AuthorisationThese Directions are issued in terms of section 27(2) of the Disaster Management Act, 2002 following the Declaration of a National State of Disaster and published in Government Gazette No. 43096 on 15 March 2020 and must be read together with the COVID-19 Regulations published under Government Notice No. 318 on 18 March 2020, and COVID-19 Regulations on the 21-day lockdown period published on 25 March 2020.
5. DefinitionsIn these Directions, any word or expression bears the meaning assigned to it in the Local Government: Municipal Systems Act, 2000 (Act No. 32 of 2000), the Local Government: Municipal Structures Act, 1998 (Act No. 117 of 1998), the Disaster Management Act, 2002, the National House of Traditional Leaders Act, 2009 (Act No. 22 of 2009), the Traditional Leadership and Governance Framework Amendment Act, 2009 (Act No.23 of 2009) and COVID-19 Regulations, unless the context indicates otherwise."COGTA" means the national Departments responsible for Cooperative Governance Traditional Affairs."Command Council" means the executive authority that has been put in place to oversee the government response to COVID-19."COVID-19 risk profile" means a depiction of risk and its subcomponents spatially and temporally with data on the hazard, vulnerability and capacity characteristics."COVID-19 Regulations" means any regulations issued in terms of Section 27(2) of the Disaster Management Act No 57 of 2002 in pursuance of the nation -wide response to the COVID-19 pandemic."hotspot areas" means high risk areas for spreading the disease considering socio-economic vulnerabilities (such as overcrowded settlements, informal settlements with minimal access to services; high poverty level areas), communal areas, areas with limited or no access to water and sanitation services, and areas with high numbers of confirmed infections."initiation" means any customary or cultural practice of traditional communities that is used by such communities as a rite of passage to adulthood in respect of male or female children."initiation school" means any place where the customary or cultural practices relating to initiation."institutions of Traditional Leadership" means those institutions or structures established in terms of the National House of Traditional Leaders Act, 2009 (Act No. 22 of 2009), and the Traditional Leadership and Governance Framework Amendment Act, 2009 \(Act No.23 of 2009)."Minister" means the national minister responsible for the Departments responsible for Cooperative Governance Traditional Affairs."potable water" means water that is treated and safe to drink or to use for food preparation."sanitation services" means the collection, removal, disposal or purification of human excreta, domestic wastewater, sewage and effluent resulting from the use of water for commercial purposes."social distancing" means limiting personal contact as a measure to reduce the probability of contact between persons carrying an infection, and others who are not infected, so as to minimize disease transmission, morbidity and ultimately, mortality."Traditional Leader" means leaders defined in terms of the National House of Traditional Leaders Act, , as amended2009 (Act No. 22 of 2009), and the Traditional Leadership and Governance Framework Act, No 41 of 2003 as amended
7. Short title and commencementThese Directions are called the COGTA COVID-19 Disaster Response Directions, 2020 and take effect on the date of signature and shall terminate on the date when the national state of disaster lapses or is terminated.
History of this Government Notice
Download for later
Download the current version of this By-law to read later on your desktop, e-reader or tablet.