This is the latest version of this Government Notice.
Competition Act, 1998
Regulations relating to COVID-19 Block Exemption for the Hotel Industry, 2020
Government Notice R422 of 2020
- Published in Government Gazette no. 43175 on 27 March 2020
- Commenced on 27 March 2020
- [This is the version of this document from 27 March 2020.]
1. DefinitionIn these Regulations any word or expression to which a meaning has been assigned in the Act bears the meaning and, unless the context otherwise indicates
2. PurposeThe purpose of these Regulations is to exempt a category of agreements or practices in the hotel industry from the application of sections 4 and 5 of the Act in response to the declaration of COVID-19 pandemic as a national disaster in terms of the Disaster Management Act, solely with the purpose of:
3. Category of agreements or practices exemptedThe Minister hereby exempts the following categories of agreements or practices in the hotel industry from the application of sections 4 and 5 of the Act if undertaken at the request of, and in coordination with, the Department of Health and the Department of Tourism for the sole purpose of responding to the COVID-19 pandemic national disaster and which exclude communication and agreements in respect of prices unless specifically authorised by the Minister of Health and the Minister of Tourism:Identification and provision of facilities
4. Scope of the exemptionThe scope of these Regulations is limited only to agreements or practices specified under paragraph 3, and which have the sole purpose of responding to the COVID-19 pandemic national disaster as set out in paragraph 2.
Amendments to Regulations
5.Given the unpredictability of managing the COVID-19 pandemic, the areas of collaboration exempted in these Regulations may be expanded or reduced by the Minister by notice published in the Government Gazette in terms of these Regulations.
6.To the extent that the hotel industry identifies additional agreements or practices outside the scope of paragraph 3 that are necessary to achieve the purpose of these Regulations, the hotel industry may request the Minister to expand the scope of this exemption.
7. Record KeepingParties in the hotel industry participating in any agreements or practices falling within the scope of these exemption must keep minutes of meetings held and written records of such agreements or practices.
8. Representation on RegulationsRepresentations on these Regulations.
9. Short titleThese Regulations are called the Regulations relating to COVID-19 Block Exemption for the Hotel Industry, 2020.
Commencement and duration
10.These Regulations shall come into effect on the date of publication in the Government Gazette.
11.These Regulations shall remain in operation for as long as the declaration of the COVID-19 in terms of the National Disaster Management Act as a national disaster subsists, or until they are withdrawn by the Minister whichever comes earlier.
History of this Government Notice
27 March 2020 this versionPublished in Government Gazette no. 43175Government Notice commences.
Download for later
Download the current version of this By-law to read later on your desktop, e-reader or tablet.