This is the latest version of this Government Notice.
Disaster Management Act, 2002
Directions on Measures to Address, Prevent and Combat the Spread of COVID-19 in the Public Transport Services
Government Notice 59 of 2021
- Published in Government Gazette no. 44120 on 29 January 2021
- Assented to on 21 January 2021
- Commenced on 29 January 2021
- [This is the version of this document from 25 March 2021.]
1. DefinitionsIn these directions, any other word or expression bears the meaning assigned to it in the Disaster Management Act, the Act or in the Regulations, and, unless the context otherwise indicates–"Disaster Management Act" means the Disaster Management Act, 2002 (Act No. 57 of 2002);"public transport facility" means any rank, train station, terminal or any facility which may be used for public transport purposes;"public transport vehicle" means a motorcar, minibus, midibus, minibus taxi-type service and bus as defined in terms of the Act and, for purposes of these Directions, includes a sedan, e-hailing service, meter taxi, shuttle service, chauffer driven vehicle, or rail operation;"the Act" means the National Land Transport Act, 2009 (Act No. 5 of 2009); and"the Regulations" means the Regulations made under section 27(2) of the Disaster Management Act, as published under Government Notice No. R 480, in Government Gazette No. 43258 of 29 April 2020, as amended under–
2. Authority of directions
3. Purpose of directionsThe purpose of these directions is to provide for–
4. Application of directionsThese directions are applicable to all public transport services and public transport facilities.
5. Provision of improved access to hygiene control and disinfection at public transport facilities
6. Provision of improved access to hygiene control and disinfection in public transport vehicles
7. Public transport services, private vehicles and loading capacity of public transport vehicles
8. Validity period for public transport operating licences and accreditation certificates for tourist transport services
9. Transportation of liquorTransportation of liquor is permitted.[direction 9 substituted by section 2 of Government Notice 255 of 2021]
10. Enforcement of directionsAuthorised officers, as defined in section 1 of the Act, must enforce the provisions of these Directions.
11. Withdrawal of directionsThese directions issued under Government Notice No. 493, published in Government Gazette No. 43538 of 22 July 2020, as amended, are hereby withdrawn.
12. Short title and commencementThese directions are called the Directions on measures to address, prevent and combat the spread of COVID-19 in the public transport services, and come into effect on the date of publication thereof in the Government Gazette.
History of this Government Notice
Download for later
Download the current version of this By-law to read later on your desktop, e-reader or tablet.
- Directions on Measures to Address, Prevent and Combat the Spread of COVID-19 in the Public Transport Services ePUB
- Directions on Measures to Address, Prevent and Combat the Spread of COVID-19 in the Public Transport Services HTML
- Directions on Measures to Address, Prevent and Combat the Spread of COVID-19 in the Public Transport Services PDF