This is the latest version of this Government Notice.
Disaster Management Act, 2002
Department of Social Development: Adjusted Alert Level 3 Directions
Government Notice R681 of 2021
- Published in Government Gazette no. 44938 on 3 August 2021
- Assented to on 3 August 2021
- There are multiple commencements:
- [This is the version of this document from 11 October 2021.]
commenced on 1 August 2021.
Note: See section 15.
commenced on 3 August 2021.
Note: See section 15.
|Section 3(3)(j), section 6A, section 15||not yet commenced.|
- [Amended by Erratum to Adjusted Alert Level 3 Directions (Government Notice 710 of 2021) on 10 August 2021]
- [Amended by Directions on Measures to Prevent and Combat the Spread of COVID-19 (Government Notice 1028 of 2021) on 11 October 2021]
1. Definitions"applicant" means a person who applies for a Social Relief of Distress Grant;"appellant" means a person whose application for a Social Relief of Distress Grant has been declined and has applied for reconsideration of his or her application; and"income" for the purposes of Direction 4 means, any source of income as defined in regulation 19 of the Social Assistance Regulations, 2008 and includes any form of donation or other financial support or financial assistance received by the applicant of not more than R595 as per the food poverty line threshold;
2. Application for social grantAn application for social grant may be lodged electronically over and above any other available means of lodging such applications.
3. Social Relief of Distress Grant
4. Reconsideration of application for Social Relief of Distress GrantIn order to have an application for the Social Relief of Distress Grant considered, an applicant must grant consent for SASSA to verify his or her identity, residency, income or social security benefits with—
5. Consent for verificationAn applicant must complete the income declaration and grant consent in line with the provisions of the Protection of Personal Information Act, 2013(Act No. 4 of 2013) and provide banking particulars as required by SASSA.
6. Duration of receipt of COVID-19 Social Relief of Distress GrantThe Social Relief of Distress Grant contemplated in these Directions is payable from 1 August 2021 up to 31 March 2022, provided that the beneficiary continues to qualify for the grant in accordance with the criteria listed in Direction 4.
6A.A caregiver without a valid 13-digit identity number and who possesses a system generated number provided by SASSA and whose application for the Social Relief of Distress Grant is lodged during the months of September and October 2021 and approved, will be paid retrospectively from the month of August 2021 as if the grant application had been approved in the month of August 2021.[direction 6A inserted by section 3 of Government Notice 1028 of 2021]
7. Review of payment of Social Relief of Distress GrantThe Social Relief of Distress Grant paid to recipients must be reviewed on a monthly basis and, where there is a change in the circumstances of the applicant, SASSA may—
8. Disbursement of paymentsSASSA may determine the most suitable method for disbursing payments of the grant and may amend such method of payment from time to time, as required.
9. Reconsideration process
10. Recovery and uncollected benefits
11. Social Relief of Distress Grant paid up to 30 April 2021With respect to the previous Social Relief of Distress Grant paid during the period from 1 May 2020 until 30 April 2021, the following measures apply:
12. Death of Social Relief of Distress Grant beneficiaryIf the beneficiary of a Social Relief of Distress Grant dies, the grant will be paid until the end of the month in which the beneficiary died.
13. Community Nutrition Development CentresSitting and eating at Community Nutrition and Development Centres is allowed subject to compliance with the applicable COVID-19 health and safety measures.
14. Older persons’ residential facilitiesVisits to older persons' residential facilities are permitted subject to compliance with the applicable COVID-19 health and safety measures.
15. Short title and CommencementThese Directions are called Adjusted Alert Level 3 Directions and Directions 1 to 12 take effect from 1 August 2021. Directions 13 and 14 come into effect on the date of publication in the Government Gazette.
History of this Government Notice
Download for later
Download the current version of this By-law to read later on your desktop, e-reader or tablet.